When Fr. Young was named Rector after Dr. McKenzie’s death in August, 1920 (McKenzie had been too ill to participate in the 1920 Commencement) new buildings were in order. So the 1923 Howe Annual had this rendering of a very impressive White Hall, which was never built. The “New” Academic Building as built was also more modest than its first architectural rendering.
In 1910 the School built a building named the Club House, which had the distinct Frank Lloyd Wright appearance although actually said to be designed by Wright disciple Marion Mahoney of Chicago.
The above drawings and interior pictures are from “Not By Frank Lloyd Wright”, an article copyrighted in 2002 by Dr. William Allin Storrer, who does not answer e-mails sent to him. The drawings and interior photos are not Storrer’s work, they are the property of Howe School, the original architect’s client.
The Club House second floor had guest rooms for visitors such as parents and alums. Frank Little, Sr. , HMS 1905, long time School Business Manager, had waited tables for Mrs. Howe’s Mansion teas while a cadet, then served as manager of the Club House before succeeding Roy McKenzie as Business Manager, as which MAJ Little served with distinction for many decades. The 1953 Tatler was dedicated to him. Although the fundraising for the proposed White Hall did not provide the monumental edifice in the drawing above, Fr. Young deserves credit for building the resultant White Hall and the New Gym. That Gym had space enough for all Upper School classes (Grades 9-12 at the time, for the four years after the Old Academic Building burned until the (then) new one was finished) a new power house, remodeling the 1900 Lower School building into the Administration Building, and adding the yellow brick porches onto Gray and Howe Halls and the Administration Building.